We won't have a lot of time today because we will be in assembly so today we are going to start with a really quick interaction game called "Am I the butterfly".
We will probably head down to the gym for our assembly at the conclusion of this game.
When we get back we will then look at the format of the course and which students are in which classes. If we have time, we will go over the various paperwork required for group projects.
Sept 1 rst - Let's Get Started
May 7 2015
We have a sub in today but you are doing some work on listening as a beginning to our speaking unit. Below are the film clips for this section
March 17 2015
Today we will play a game called "hidden Agendas" and then discuss how group dynamics are effected by hidden agendas and then we will go over the course material that we need to complete for our leadership module and finish our posters etc. for our leadership projects.
March 16 2015
We'll start class off with a game called "Just One Word" and then move into doing the final preparations for our leadership projects
Feb. 18 2015
Today we will start class off with two communication games. One is called Color Blind and the other Copy Cat...this will take about half of the first class today...maybe longer depending on how long it will take you to achieve success.
We will then go over the leadership rubric and discuss.
The rest of the class today will be spent working on projects - we will take a look at what good posters look like and how to make them and discuss what a "stunt" is and how to implement it.
Feb. 17 2015
Today we will start class off with two games - One is Catch - which will show the impact of being exclusionary and the other is Juggle Toss - Which will show the impact of taking on too much. We will discuss what this means for our project - first they need to be inclusive of the entire student body and second, they need to be manageable.
We have to clean up the Valentine's decorations.
We will finish with project planning.
Feb 5 2015
We will start class off with a quick game of mine field in the concourse. We'll debrief by discussing what happens when we encounter obstacles and link it to our discussion of yesterday's film clip from Star Wars.
We will write a quick journal entry today focusing on our goals and hopes for ourselves, our school and our semester. We will then discuss SMART goal setting and then create some SMART goals for ourselves.
We will then get ourselves going with a raucous game of Catepillar Traverse -
With ankles taped, the team travels as a unit from Point A to Point B.
Two parallel lines (boundary lines) are on the ground 9 - 10 feet apart.
2. In between the parallel lines are taped three squares on the ground with sides of the
squares measuring approximately two feet.
3. The group stands behind one of the boundary lines.
4. The team lines up shoulder to shoulder (and ankle to ankle). Each person is given a piece of tape long enough to tape feet together. Participants reach down and tape their right foot (or ankle) to their neighbor’s left foot (ankle).
1. The boundary ropes and hoops may not be moved.
2. The group must remain in a line with ankles tied throughout the activity.
3. Stepping outside of the hoops while traveling to the rescue ship is not permitted.
4. No other equipment may be used.
5. Violation of a rule may result in a penalty. (Example: touches outside of the
hoops will require the team to start over)
Finally, with the remaining time we will, first look over course outlines and second look at our calendar of activities for second semester.
FEB 4 2015
Today is the first day of leadership class!! We will begin with a yarn building activity
2. participants will stand close together in a circle.
3. Give the ball of yarn to one participant and ask he/she to tell the group about a time when they enjoyed school (even if it was in kindergarten and then toss the ball of yarn to another participant across the circle while holding onto the end of the yarn.
4. The next participant catches the ball of yarn, responds with their information, holds the yarn while tossing the ball of yarn on to another person across the circle.
5. The next question will be "If you could change one thing about our school what would it be?" and repeat the steps
6. We will then discuss the purpose of the web (ie: the power of many people working together, communities/clubs can work effectively when everyone does their part).
Toss a balloon or ball onto the web and continue to illustrate your teaching point. The ball can represent a student. Ask the group to tighten the web to provide better support (everyone is needed to make it work). Ask the group to move the ball around the web in a circle, passing it to each person in the group (communication is important to get the job done). Use several balls or balloons and ask the group how a community can make the web of support stronger for young people.
Next we are going to use metaphor cards to discuss what we think our own leadership style is.
We will watch a quick film clip from Star Wars about the power of believing, looking at possibilities. The training scene with Yoda and Luke in The Empire Strikes Back.
Finally, if we have time, we'll take a look at the course outline.
Today we will divide and conquer. The following are jobs that need to be accomplished:
1. A trophy made for Volleyball Airband
2. Banners made for Volleyball provincials
3. signs made for pep rally for each class (used to put on pylons) and Balloons blown up for balloon game
5. Vote on leadership films to be shown
6. New Cougar Wear Fashion show set up
7. Renovate the Cougar Cup
8. Finalize volunteer lists for provincials
Today we will watch our leadership films and research projects, update our citizenship points and ensure that we have all our paperwork in for our projects. Marks are due in on Monday so I need to have all this material to ensure that your assessment is accurate. We need to then create an advertisement for the pep rally, finish our pep rally organization and start creating and painting banners for volleyball provincials.
Leadership is a new passion of mine. I really enjoy the activities and the relationships developed in this class. Can't wait for the new semester!!